Monday 22 January 2018

Donald Crowhurst


Here's my cover story from yesterday's Sunday Times Culture. I've had a fascination with Donald Crowhurst's utterly sad and tragic tale for years and was a big fan of Deep Water, the 2006 documentary, which I thoroughly recommend. It's a fantastic piece of work, even if you've little interest in nautical matters. It's a human story above all. Funny, I haven't done much for Culture in a while. On the strength of my 2006 book, Dead Reckoning, I seem to be the go-to person for matters maritime, an expert on which I am most definitely not! I even ended up presenting The Times' An Evening With Jonathan Dimbleby in 2016 to do with his book, The Battle of the Atlantic. I think I just about pulled it off. There's a little bit of nautical stuff – only a bit – in my novel No Ordinary Killing and some, too, in its follow-up, currently being written, so I guess it's seeped in somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment